Thursday, June 4, 2015

Change Happens


When reflecting over the past school year I am reminded that change is inevitable.  People view change through different lenses.  We might not like it, but change does happen.  I learned a long time ago that as a school leader, people look at how you handle change and feed off of that.  The face of change is sometimes needed and should be welcomed, but other times it is a fearful step to take.  As the school year ends understand that staff will change, programs will change, and most importantly we must self-assess and see where we need to change.  Here are some steps to take in preparing for the changes a new school years brings. 

First, we have to recognize that change will happen. We cannot count on the way it has been done in the past as the best way to move forward.  By understating that change will occur I am not setting myself up if processes, duties, or people are different.  I am not reacting to the change, but becoming a willing partner in the process of change.

Second, we have to self-assess and ensure that my strengths continue to help my district. I also have to assess my weaknesses (yes, we all have them) and create opportunities that help me grow in these areas.  As leaders we have to be sure that the right people are on the bus.  I desire to be one of those people, don’t you?   

Finally, change requires flexibility.  The better we are able to adapt, the greater our chance of contributing to the success of the team and keeping our seat on the bus.  What will be required of you in the new school year?  What skills can you leverage with new responsibilities to help the team succeed?  You have to believe in the skills you have and contribute to the team.
I have never let change impact how I continue to do my work, which is giving everything I have every day to ensure the success of campuses and children.  Remember, change happens, just don’t forget to keep the main focus the main focus – and any new situation will be a good situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment