Friday, January 23, 2015

Leadership Is About Behaviors

I am so fortunate that I get to be in and out of classrooms in my school district.  I know that leadership is about behavior.  In the past week during our Instructional Rounds visits I saw many teachers who fit the model of a leader.  I was able to see young children cared for, valued, and celebrated for their contribution to a lesson.  This only happens when their teacher embraces the role of a true leader.

During my classroom visits I was so pleased to see teachers encouraging their students to be active participants in the learning process. These teachers were willing to change a lesson that they easily could stand and delivery, into one that allowed students to discover through collaboration with their peers.  Great leaders strive to create an atmosphere of trust – these classrooms are safe places for students to think, speak, and discover.

Great leaders passionately believe they can make a difference.  The teachers in my district use their magnetism and persuasion in teaching to help their students see their potential as learners.  In several lessons I witnessed students who shared a wrong answer, but were given an opportunity to ask a fellow student for help.  How powerful is it when we allow students to continue to gather information and contribute to the learning process.  Leaders enable others to act.


I am so pleased that I get to see great leaders of learning in my schools.  Leadership is about behaviors – I ask myself often if I am leading the way for others.  I want to be the leader that others see the passion in.  I want to be the leader that models the behaviors others see as proactive and supportive.  I want to be the leader that others see the excitement I have for learning and supporting the vision of learners in the future.   I want to be the leader that keeps hope and determination alive, the leader that makes others feel value and worth.  I want to strengthen others.Take stock and make sure you are modeling the behaviors you want other to see.  

No comments:

Post a Comment