Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Professional Growth Has No Boundaries...When You are Connected

What if we were able to make learning accessible whenever, wherever and whatever we wanted?  This was such a foreign concept  to me until I was invited to attend the 2012 TCEA conference in Austin, Texas.  I was surrounded by the most connected (literally) professional educators I had ever encountered.  The flow of information was off the chart. 

Eric Sheninger’s Digital Leadership Chapter 8 speaks about our digital collaborative growth as educational administrators. Traditional professional development opportunities are not always held at a convenient time or location – but a professional who is able to grow their connected Professional Learning Network (PLN) is not bound by walls, time, or the opportunity to learn.  The PLN allows us to reach beyond our campus, district, across states, and even into foreign countries to learn from other professional educators who have a passion for learning, just as we do.

Research shows that collaboration is a valuable learning practice and we master that within the walls of our schools.  Although a great practice, Sheninger states that this type of collaboration is often seen as closed when it is compared to a connected educator who is able to engage others through social networking.  The greatest point he makes in the chapter is that an educator who is connected through the use of PLNs is able to engage in both consumption and publication (p.119).

I can hear you asking, so when do I have time to grow my PLN........Yes, time is a valuable resource to any professional and the chapter states the value of using your PLN as a learning resource allows you to collaborate, communicate, acquire resources, elicit feedback, get support, and share ideas and information (p. 119) when it is convenient for you.


21st Century schools require a connected leader. Sheninger's suggest several social sties that will connect you with endless learning possibilities.   My favorite is Twitter, I learn from people from all walks of life and I enjoy that the information is current to my profession.  I have grown to become a connected learner and in turn a connect leader.  My hope is that you make it a priority in your day. After all, our kids are counting on you to be the digital leader of their school.   

2 comments:

  1. You have been a great example of what a digital leader is supposed to look like and I thank you for that. I am inspired by you and Renee! Thank you for supporting me for the last eight years of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have truly made the transition to a digital leader for our district! You did a great job modeling the strategies from chapter 8 by facilitating our first #cisdedchat session. Administrators collaborated and added meaningful comments that sparked high level thinking and information sharing. Our administrators have grown leaps and bounds during the two administrator retreats, and I know that we will see positive results because of their efforts and your leadership.

    ReplyDelete